Regular exfoliation (once a week) can help your skin with the removal of dead skin cells. This becomes even more important when you are exposed to many agents that clog your pores (e.g. make up, dirt, lotions, etc.) and as you age.
Exfoliation removes dead skin cells, exposing new and healthier skin cells. Exfoliating the skin is also important to reduce and even prevent ingrown hairs, remove flaky skin, remove dirt, white heads, blackheads, toxins, unclog pores and reduce acne bumps.
How many times should you exfoliate your skin?
It is recommended that we exfoliate at least once a week, however, this will vary depending on each person’s skin type; Some folks may require exfoliation up to 2 times per week, just ensure you give enough time between sessions for the skin to recover. Note that exfoliating too frequently or vigorously can be harsh to your skin and make it sensitive.
When you should not exfoliate?
- Within 24 hours of exfoliating. Give a couple of days between these cleansing sessions to help your skin recover from the abrasive action of your exfoliants.
- If you have very sensitive skin or a skin condition that requires medical attention.
- You have a sunburn or a wound. Let your skin heal!
What type of natural exfoliating agents are commonly used?
Some of the most common exfoliating agents in natural soaps and cosmetics include oatmeal, loofas, salts, pumice, clays, activated charcoal, and coffee grounds. The milder exfoliating agents like activated charcoal, clays, and pumice powder, are the best for your face and sensitive skins. All the other exfoliating agents like coffee grounds, loofas, salts, and ground oatmeal are appropriate for the rest of your body.
Our Spa Line currently has 3 soaps that can be used for all exfoliating needs.
- Clay Butterfly: infused with the calming properties of chamomile flowers and brazillian clays, this soap was designed to exfoliate your facial skin.
- Colombiana: this soap is infused with chocolate and has coffee grounds appropriate for body exfoliation (excluding facial skin), especially the stubborn elbows, knees, and heels.
- Carpe Diem: this is a shaving soap with activated charcoal. It’s appropriate to clean the skin as the user shaves the hair, helping to prevent the development of ingrown hairs.
Preciosa’s Exfoliating Tips
Follow these simple steps for a simple and effective exfoliation of the facial skin before going to bed:
- Wet your face with lukewarm water or, if you have more advance tools, use a vapor making machine close to your face without burning it. This helps open up your pores making it easier to clean the pores.
- With the same warm water rub your Clay Butterfly exfoliating soap between your hands until it lathers.
- Apply the foam to your face and work it in in a circular motion, rubbing gently.
- Remove the foam with lukewarm water. Repeat steps 1-4 if necessary.
- When done, rinse your face with cool water. This will help close your pores and revitalize your skin
- Apply your favorite moisturizer.
- Protect your face skin from sun rays and use sunblock for 1 day after exfoliating.
If you want to exfoliate other body parts, use our Colombiana soap. The coffee grounds are an amazing exfoliator for the body.
– Preciosa Handmade Products (PHP) team. –
Notice: The information in this article is copyrighted. Any duplication of this article has to be pre-approved by the Preciosa Handmade Products team.